Many people may have the impression that they should only go to the chiropractor to fix problems with their neck and back. While chiropractors most certainly can fix problems with the neck and back, and they are two of the most common areas chiropractors work on, proper chiropractic care can benefit the entire body. Regular chiropractic care can be especially beneficial for those suffering from a current or past sports injury, or athletes who want to prevent or reduce the severity of future sports injuries. Whether you’re a professional athlete, part-time gym-goer, or just a weekend warrior with old basketball injuries, chiropractic care can help with a number of sports injuries by rebalancing the body.
Athletes tend to work their bodies in more intense ways than the average person, and may overtax certain muscle groups. Regular chiropractic adjustment has been shown to benefit athletes of all types, along with pretty much everybody else. Chiropractic care offers a holistic pain relief option that comes with a whole host of other health benefits.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help With Sports Injuries
Here are some of the biggest benefits chiropractic care can offer current and former athletes:
- Injury Prevention: Regular chiropractic adjustments help athletes increase their range of motion and flexibility in their joints, making it harder for them to get injured throughout the regular course of sports performance. This may also enhance their performance.
- Relief From Pain: Chiropractic care can help current or former athletes find relief from pain from new and old sports injuries. Athletes are always pushing themselves to their physical limits, which naturally results in aches, soreness, and pain. Chiropractic alignment can benefit your ligaments, joints, muscles, nerves, and discs. Even if your sports injury isn’t serious, regular chiropractic visits can help to relieve stiffness and soreness.
- A Holistic Way To Treat Sports Injuries: Athletes understandably may want to avoid taking drugs like painkillers for their injuries. Chiropractic care, used in conjunction with other appropriate rehabilitative practices, can speed recovery.
- Treats The Entire Body: Chiropractic treatment doesn’t just target the site of the injury, but is aimed at getting the entire body functioning properly. A spinal adjustment, for example, doesn’t just help with back pain but can also correct how your entire body aligns.
Sports Injuries We Often See
Some common sports injuries Dr. Gene Perkins often treats here at Coastal Chiropractic include (but are not limited to):
- Sore muscles
- Stress fractures
- Pinched nerves
- Herniated discs
Some additional treatments Dr. Perkins may recommend when treating your sports injury include:
- Elevation above heart level
- Compression (with an elastic bandage)
- Ice or heat
- Rehabilitative physical therapy
- Nutritional planning and supplementation
- Spinal adjustments
- Adequate nutrition
Contact Us Today
Chiropractic care can benefit people of all physical circumstances and ages, but is especially helpful for athletes rehabilitating from a sports injury or trying to prevent future injuries. Coastal Chiropractic is a top chiropractic clinic in Pompano Beach, FL. Call Coastal Chiropractic to schedule an appointment for your sports injury today!