The most rapid rate of growth the human body experiences is from the time a child is born out of the mother’s womb until they go through puberty. While many people may not be aware of this, or may consider chiropractic care solely for adults and athletes, chiropractic care for kids can help ensure healthy and aligned growth through all the milestones of childhood. Chiropractic care by an experienced professional can even help prevent injury as the child gets older! Chiropractic care can also help newborns heal; newborn babies experience trauma from the birthing process, and chiropractic care can assist with speeding the healing process while relieving some common issues that many newborns experience.
Newborns Can Benefit From Pediatric Chiropractic Care
A newborn baby can benefit from seeing a pediatric chiropractor in the first two weeks after birth. A certified pediatric chiropractor can assess the newborn for reflexes that indicate how the brain and nervous system are functioning, as well as test the function of the musculoskeletal system. Pediatric chiropractic can also help treat more chronic or acute conditions, since it stimulates the nervous system and optimizes system function. Chiropractic care for babies is less about pain management or injury treatment, like for adults, but rather focuses on promoting optimal health and development of the nervous and musculoskeletal systems.
Conditions Treated By Pediatric Chiropractic Care
The following are common conditions chiropractors may treat newborns for:
- Colic relief: Colic is due to abdominal pain or an underdeveloped/underperforming gastrointestinal tract, and is difficult to relieve. Luckily, chiropractic care for babies with colic has been shown to relieve symptoms in 94% of babies. The nerve flow is stimulated through gentle manipulations to increase peristalsis, the motion of gut muscles that push liquid and gas through.
- GERD: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or GERD, can cause acid reflux to back up into the esophagus. Babies with GERD can be fussy eaters and spit up a lot. The nervous system can be stimulated through gentle manipulation of the spine and neck to improve the reflux.
- Torticollis: Torticollis results in the head tilting down or to one side due to problems with the neck muscles, and is common in newborns. The baby may have been in an abnormal position in the womb, such as a breech, or was simply cramped. Torticollis may not be obvious at birth and shows signs after the baby gains more strength in their neck. Chiropractic adjustments gently massage the muscles in the neck and adjust the cervical spine to alleviate the tilt and allow for proper neck development.
- Sleeping difficulties: Newborn babies may be stressed by birth, no matter if they were cesarean or vaginal births. The parasympathetic nervous system can be stimulated to allow for better parasympathetic nervous system function, allowing the baby to rest easier.
- Breast feeding: If the baby is having issues latching, chiropractic care can help. Through gentle spinal adjustments, chiropractic care can ease fatigue when feeding and promote proper alignment and position when feeding.
Contact Us Today
Pediatric chiropractic care can help ease many common newborn conditions and optimize your baby’s health. Call Coastal Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!